Saturday 6 January 2018

Lather

Long time since  my last post. I'm still learning how to shave with a double edge safety razor. I say learning, I use it every day and have gotten much better at it. I still cut myself most days but no where to the level when I started this blog. I had decided for a while that it was time to buy some proper shaving cream / soap. I was in the US recently and for the first time in 13 years didn't buy Barbasol while I was there. I still have one unopened can but not sure when I'll next get to the US.

Over Christmas I decided it was time to invest. I bought a silver tip badger brush, some Taylor of Old Bond Street cream and a copper shaving bowl. The bowl was bought from eBay the others from a different site. The bowl has not yet arrived. I did my first attempt at a lather today using a plastic bowl. I was less than impressed. It started forming in the bowl so I applied to my face. I started on my cheeks but found I had a pretty good lather around my mouth but little elsewhere. Shaving was not pleasant. I tried second layer but it did not go well.

I've done a little reading since and I think I need more water and possibly more cream. I'll see how tomorrow's attempt goes. I think I like the cream more than Barbasol, it smells nicer and I like that it isn't in a pressurised can. That said if I can't get a reasonable lather out of it the smell won't be much good. I'll try again tomorrow. Once I get the hang of it I'll update here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lather

Long time since  my last post. I'm still learning how to shave with a double edge safety razor. I say learning, I use it every day and h...