Wednesday 2 August 2017

Learning it All Again

Shaving For the First Time - Again

Like I mentioned, I've been shaving for a very long time. It was one of those things I could probably do with my eyes closed. Moving to a DE razor has made me rethink this. It's a whole different way of shaving and I'm still trying to work out how best to do it. Today was significant...

With a cartridge razor, I would shave with grain on my face, down my neck, up my neck, against grain on my face. That ladies and gentlemen, is possibly the most boring thing I have ever written... However with a DE razor you use a completely different stroke (it takes them to rule the world). The idea is you lather (in my case apply Barbasol) and shave with the grain. If you need to go shorter you re-lather and shave across the grain. If shorter again re-lather and go against grain.

Apparently, in general, you're not supposed to shave against the grain. It pulls the hairs out of your face and cause razor bumps. This has never really bothered me but I never knew I was doing it. What I did like was how smooth my face would feel. I'm currently struggling to get the same smoothness with the DE razor. I have gone against the grain with it but it's challenging. With a DE razor you're supposed to let the weight of the razor do the work, challenging when going up your face.

I'm still trying to master the strokes, even understanding the way the hair on my neck grows is challenging, it seems to mostly go away from the center, it's odd shaving that direction... Though I just had a thought that maybe I should shave down my neck, which would be across the grain... I also learned that you should use short strokes with a DE razor, again more challenging than it sounds. After shaving with a DE razor they say you should apply cold water. This helps with any cuts, so far there are many. I have also learned that there is a difference between aftershave and cologne. aftershave is designed to disinfect and help stop bleeding. I have also bought some cheap aftershave from Lidl which I'm using, though this might be cheap cologne and I'm doing it wrong. Cologne is only for scent. I have ordered and alum block from ebay. These are some sort of post shave soap thing that should moisturize and disinfect. I'm hoping this will help.

I have been applying cold water, (what I think is) aftershave and finally moisturizer and every day I have had a slight burning sensation on my face... Everyday until today. I think I have finally gotten better at my strokes. I believe the key is to ensure there's cream, or at very least, water. I think the burn was from a dry shave. I'm hoping that I'm getting better at this and tomorrow will also be a more pleasant shave.

I'm using far more cream than ever before and a lot more product, I'm aiming for cheap stuff at the moment. If I get good at this I may look for better quality products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lather

Long time since  my last post. I'm still learning how to shave with a double edge safety razor. I say learning, I use it every day and h...