Thursday 3 August 2017

Razors Are Sharp

Safe Disposal

While reading about how to shave, I saw someone discussing how to dispose of blades. I had honestly never thought about this. I consider myself pretty eco-aware, I try to recycle or compost as much as possible etc. With cartridge razors, I used to just bin them. I assumed I would do the same with DE blades. What I never thought about is how dangerous this is.

DE blades are sharp, they will slice your skin open without effort. Putting straight in the bin is both risky and dangerous. They could slice through the bag spilling rubbish everywhere. Worse still they could injure a sanitation worker or someone else. I have a 2 year old son, I'm yet to see him root through the bins but nothing would surprise me. The risk of him cutting himself on a razor blade is frightening. I also looked at recycling them (domestic collection) but it has the same health risks and apparently because they're so small, they can damage the recycling machines.

The best way, that I have found so far, is to get something like a small Tupperware box and cut a small hole in it, just big enough to fit a razor. You should leave this out of reach of children... You should be able to fit a lot of blades in one of these, I have no idea how many. Once full, tape it up with duct tape and write "bio-hazard" on it, it really is a bio-hazard, then dispose of safely. I haven't yet looked into disposal options. Using his method it can go with regular rubbish. When I get around to it, I'm going to see if the local dump / recycling center has any options for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lather

Long time since  my last post. I'm still learning how to shave with a double edge safety razor. I say learning, I use it every day and h...